Wedding Gift Ideas for Couples Honeymooning in Hawaii

Wedding Gift Ideas for a Couple Who is Going to Hawaii on their Honeymoon

Ten years ago, I had a fabulous honeymoon on Maui and the Big Island. And yet when my friend asked for recommendations on what to buy as a wedding gift for a couple who will be taking a Hawaiian honeymoon, all I could think of was snorkel gear. We did bring our own snorkel gear and enjoyed snorkeling on the go. But that’s an awfully presumptuous gift, plus who else really wants to schlep snorkel gear 5,000 miles (we’ve never been light packers). So when I attended a press event for Maui Visitors and Convention Bureau, I decided to ask the experts and I loved all of their answers for honeymoon gift ideas. And not one of them said snorkeling gear!

“What do you suggest that a wedding guest give to a bride and groom who are going to Hawaii for their honeymoon?”

Sunset Cocktails: “A gift certificate to the Lobby Lounge at the Four Seasons Maui. It’s an incredible place to watch the sunset and there is always live entertainment. And you can get dessert too!” Kathleen Costello, Director of Marketing/Communications of  Wailea Resort Association.

Local Crafts: Give the bride and groom a gift certificate to Native Intelligence, so they can pick out locally made Hawaiian arts and crafts. They can even find an authentic Kapa, which is fabric for a traditional Hawaiian wedding ceremony. — Pueo Pata, Kumu Hala and Hawaiian Cultural Adviser

Ziplining Excursion: “Have them do something adventurous together like ziplining! I recommend Pi’iholo Ranch Adventures, which has horseback riding too.” — John White of Ka’anapali Beach Hotel, which is recognized as “Hawaii’s Most Hawaiian Hotel” by the Waiaha Foundation.

Snorkeling Excursion: “Give them a snorkel tour to go Molikini — it’s something special they can do together.” — Megan Hardesty of Fairmont Kea Lani

Frame Their Hawaiian Names: For a gift “that’s not too expensive but has a lot of emotional bank, you can have their Hawaiian names researched, illustrated and framed. It can be waiting in their room for when they check in.”  — Clifford Nae’ole, cultural adviser to the The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua

Hawaiian Music: “Give them an iPod full of Hawaiian music that they can listen to on the flight over. Amy Hanaiali’i Gilliom and Jack Johnson are two of the most popular singers on the island right now.”  — Yvonne Biegel of Grand Wailea

Sunset Catamaran Tour: “Watching the sun set on a catamaran out at sea is a fantastic way to enjoy it. And so romantic.” Shelley Kekuna of Kaanapali Beach Resort Association

Reefwalkers: From swimming to hiking to canoeing, they have to protect their feet with reefwalkers! — Julie Bicoy of Molokoi Visitors Bureau

Whale Watching: “As a local, watching the whales play from December to March is one of my favorite things. A private whale watching tour would be a dream come true!”— Christina Yumul of Destination Resorts Hawaii

Stand Up Paddle Lesson: “A private lesson for two on a Naish paddle board, which is the most stable one out there, will be lots of fun for the newlyweds. But we call the kayak ‘the divorcemaker’ so don’t do that one. The woman sits in the front, so she’s supposed to lead with pace and tempo but then the man usually ends up trying to tell her what to do and it doesn’t sit well for newlyweds.” — Tim Lara of Hawaiian Paddle Sports

Private Outdoor Dinner: “I treated my husband to the private Na Hoku (under the stars) five-course dinner on an oceanfront bluff for his birthday. We were both impressed!” — Candy Aluli of Napili Kai Beach Resort

No one gave us these wedding gifts, but we ended up giving some of them to ourselves. We actually did snorkel Molokini and saw an abundance of colorful fish at the sunken crater. We also went to the Lobby Lounge (very cool!) and did a private beachside dinner. All unforgettable experiences. Hawaii is a fabulous place for a honeymoon!

10 Responses to Wedding Gift Ideas for Couples Honeymooning in Hawaii

1. noel January 21, 2015 at 9:45 pm #

Wow, those are all excellent gift ideas, I love the idea of reef walkers and avoiding getting cut, but the best thing is to avoid walking on the reefs
    noel recently posted..Gump’s shopping experience

2. Liz Borod Wright
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/travelogged
    January 21, 2015 at 9:48 pm #

Agreed that people should stay off the reef — I actually got badly scratched up when I got too close to a reef by accident when snorkeling. A lot of scratches for like 10 seconds of reef contact! I think that the reefwalkers serve a lot of purposes to protect the feet against all sorts of environments.

3. Wandering Educators
    January 22, 2015 at 1:24 am #

What awesome tips!!
    Wandering Educators recently posted..They Eat Horses, Don’t They? The Truth About the French

January 22, 2015 at 9:26 am #

These are awesome ideas! My very adventurous friend and her fiance just booked a trip to Zimbabwe for their honeymoon, and I can’t wait to find something special they can do together – those memories are for life!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Photo Post: A Visit to the Seville Cathedral Rooftop

5. Gran Canaria Local January 23, 2015 at 2:03 am #

We honeymooned in Galicia. Can we have another one in Hawaii? Some great suggestions here.
    Gran Canaria Local recently posted..Bubble Football

6. Theodora January 23, 2015 at 5:30 am #

This is a great idea for a post, and should be super-helpful – but do people who are having destination weddings expect gifts as well? Normally, in Europe, if people are having to fly to get to a ceremony, that’s counted as the gift instead.
    Theodora recently posted..The Friday Photo: Jellyfish Lake

• Liz Borod Wright
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/travelogged
      January 25, 2015 at 4:11 am #

I was thinking of this list for a bride and groom who are having a traditional wedding at home but who are going on a honeymoon in Hawaii. The honeymoon registry has become popular, but some people like to give a honeymoon-oriented gift even when there isn’t a registry. If it’s a destination wedding, most people don’t give gifts but some do. Often, people who don’t attend give gifts too.

7. Penny Sadler January 25, 2015 at 4:05 am #

All great ideas. I love the lounge idea and sunset catamaran. Theodora’s comment has me smiling. In America, yes.
    Penny Sadler recently posted..5 Reasons To Love Monterey, California

8. Larissa
    Twitter: changes_long
    January 25, 2015 at 7:07 pm #

As an avid traveler myself, I love the idea of providing the gift of experiences, as opposed to “Stuff.” It will spark far more memories than, say, a salad bowl or towels.

I’ll add my own to the list: A surfing lesson! My husband and I recently returned from our first visit to Hawaii, and had a truly memorable experience learning to surf at Waikiki. Although we’re (ahem) a few years beyond our honeymoon, I think it would be fun for anyone. http://www.changesinlongitude.com/learning-how-to-surf-in-your-50s/
    Larissa recently posted..Buddy Holly’s final show: Visiting the Surf Ballroom

9. Mary @ Green Global Travel
    January 26, 2015 at 9:37 pm #

We’ve always been a big fan of experiences over stuff. I think giving couples memories is way better than giving them something they’ll have to pay to transport.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..ECO NEWS: Palm Oil Threatens Palawan Philippines (& the Planet)