Stunning Sunsets on The Outer Banks at Currituck Heritage Park

Sunset on The Outer Banks of North Carolina

Sunsets are a universal crowd pleaser. While it always surprises me when I find someone who doesn’t like pizza or beaches, there are plenty of dissenters out there. But I have yet to encounter someone who doesn’t enjoy the glorious colors as the sun goes down for the evening. Even my son, who just turned four, loves sunsets — a fairly recent development but one that I hope will lead to our family seeing more sunsets. Sunset viewing can be a challenge for any traveler, as you have to be facing west with an unobstructed view during an approximately 40-minute block of time. And prime viewing time typically falls when you want to be eating dinner or getting ready for dinner, especially for those of traveling with kids. If your party includes adults only,  you might be taking a nap to rest up for a big night ahead when you really should be well situated with a drink in your hand watching nature paint the sky.

Out of our seven nights on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this August, we managed to see two sunsets which is pretty good odds when you’re traveling with a preschooler and a baby who fully observes the witching hour. We were staying at Corolla Light Resort, and our townhouse was facing east toward the ocean. Luckily, we were a short walk from Currituck Heritage Park, which is on faces west and is on Currituck Sound. This 39-acre park include The Whalehead Club, a mansion from the 1920s that’s right out of Newport lore (more on that later), the 162-foot Currituck Beach Lighthouse, a beautiful footbridge and a charming gazebo to watch the sunset. It wasn’t exactly a serene experience (and certainly no drink in hand) but we saw the sunset (twice!) and it was magical.

Sunset in August in Corolla, North Carolina

Want to see more sunsets? Check out some of the best sunsets I’ve ever seen.

8 Responses to Stunning Sunsets on The Outer Banks at Currituck Heritage Park

January 12, 2015 at 10:42 am #

No wonder this is why my sister loves the Outer Banks so much!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Tapa Thursdays: Mamarracha

2. wandering educators
    January 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm #

Beautiful – those colors are very warming in this snowy season.
    wandering educators recently posted..Crazy Traffic in Vietnam

3. noel January 12, 2015 at 3:25 pm #

What’s not to like slowing down at the end of the day in a stunning location with a wonderful water view and hopefully a drink on hand to relax and enjoy the last few minutes of the day. The outer banks sounds heavenly!
    noel recently posted..Tiki gone mad – Travel Photo Mondays

4. Gran Canaria Local January 14, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

We’ve seen some stunning sunsets on the Canary Islands. North Carolina looks positively Canarian. Thanks for sharing.
    Gran Canaria Local recently posted..Barranco Seco

5. Jennifer January 14, 2015 at 9:16 pm #

I love gorgeous sunsets; thanks for sharing these!
    Jennifer recently posted..2015 Minnesota Ice Castles Giveaway

6. Tawanna January 14, 2015 at 10:58 pm #

I was in the Brunswick Islands in NC in September so I absolutely understand what you mean about beautiful sunset and peaceful beaches. Great pic!

7. Lillie
    Twitter: WorldLillie
    January 15, 2015 at 2:50 am #

Ok, I’m starting to get convinced that we need to travel to the Outer Banks in the next year or two… Wowza!
    Lillie recently posted..A Warning About Getting the First Passport for Your Child

8. Lex @ LeX Paradise January 18, 2015 at 12:58 am #

I enjoyed the sunset view so much! It will be my another sunset spot to enjoy the moment 😉
    Lex @ LeX Paradise recently posted..10 Places Must-Visit in Incheon, South Korea