Toy Fair 2014: Top Five Toys for Travel

Make a track for toy cars anywhere with PlayTape by InRoadToys! #toyfair14
Toys, toys and more toys! The ToyFair 2014 at NYC’s Jacob K. Javits Center lived up to the hype as a true toy mecca — I had long heard about the Toy Industry Association’s legendary trade show, which is now in its 111th year. They don’t allow anyone under 18 inside, and I’m not sure that even I should have  been allowed inside. Looking at all of the toys was too much fun! And a bit overwhelming, with 1,150 toy companies displaying their hottest items. Here are my picks for the top toys for travel — try bringing these easily transportable toys along on your next family vacation.

My favorite find at the Toy Fair was also the simplest: PlayTape by InRoadToys (pictured at top). We’ve been bringing little cars, trains and trucks everywhere with us for the past year-and-a-half, and I don’t see my three-year-old son breaking this habit anytime soon. (It’s amazing how seeing a miniature vehicle can cheer up a toddler boy!) But with PlayTape (retailing for $7.99) we can have even more fun. This temporary road is as easy to remove as it is to put down, so you can apply it to hotel and apartment rental floors, restaurant tables and airplane trays without having to worry.

Would bringing along these adorable Giant Microbes help you and the kids stay healthy on your next trip?

You know how some cultures wear Evil Eye pendants to ward off malevolent spirits? Well maybe carrying around these cute Giant Microbes by Drew Oliver would help your family avoid falling prey to E. Coli, the Common Cold or an Amoeba on your travels. These cuddly germs retail for $9.95 each. If you’re taking a cruise then you might want to invest in a sweet little Norovirus guy (not pictured) — I jest, I jest!

A very stylish magnetic fishing set from Djeco -- easy transportable and a great toy for travel.

A very stylish magnetic fishing set from Djeco — easy transportable and a great toy for travel.

Magnetic fishing games are certainly not a new concept, but I loved how stylish this latest edition is from the French company Djeco. It would be easy to take on a trip, and it retails for approximately $25-$30. One of the most interesting things about the Toy Fair is that there are a lot of foreign toy companies there who are looking for US distributors, as well as importers looking for retail stores. There were a lot of beautifully designed toys from France, Germany and Japan.

Creativity on the go!  These art kits from The Piggy Story are adorable. #ToyFair14

Creativity on the go! These art kits from The Piggy Story are adorable.

All too often, we break out the iPad when we want to occupy our kids when we travel. Wouldn’t it be better to offer art supplies instead? As much as I love The Piggy Story‘s stylish little animal purses that come with crayons and paper, I must admit that the Create & Carry Art Tote is much more practical and chalkboard surface would be especially fun. Both types of kits retails for under $20.

Match Stacks, a memory game of 16 wooden discs by Tree Hopper Toys, is packaged in a reusable tube. #ToyFair14

Memory games are a true classic, but Tree Hopper Toys’ Match Stacks look so fresh you’d think the concept was invented last year when they won Creative Child Magazine’s 2013 Game of the year award. Made in the USA and retailing for $19.95, these 16 wooden disc sets come in a resusable tube that’s perfect to pack. There are lots of different sets available, so choose the theme that matches your vacation: Camping Trip, Sea Things, On the Farm and more. But you can’t go wrong with the Transportation theme when you’re traveling…

What toys do you like to bring when you travel?

12 Responses to Toy Fair 2014: Top Five Toys for Travel

1. jessie voigts
    February 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

what a fun group of toys!!
    jessie voigts recently posted..Authentic Recipes from Italy: Pasta All’Amatriciana (& a Cooking Class!)

2. Gran Canaria Local February 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm #

What a great selection of toys. They will come in handy to keep Gran Canaria Local Jr amused on our family travels. Thanks for giving us present ideas for his next (fourth) birthday.
    Gran Canaria Local recently posted..Casa Del Caminero

3. Penny Sadler February 21, 2014 at 9:46 pm #

Games are so important with kids and travel. Great roundup!

4. Mary @ Green Global Travel
    February 21, 2014 at 11:10 pm #

I love seeing the initiative toys especially the road tape that is so simple- yet brilliant. There are no big clunky plastic parts and the tape can be reused for hours of play. You could even put it on a plane’s tray table.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..Pitch Your Park! Rangers Plug Six of the Best US National Parks

5. Elle February 22, 2014 at 9:14 am #

What great ideas! I like to see parents being responsible about entertaining their kids on journeys. It helps the kids… keeps the parents sane… and appeases other travelers.
    Elle x
    Elle recently posted..The different languages spoken in Spain

February 22, 2014 at 11:09 am #

For travel? I’d buy these for my preschoolers!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Tapa Thursdays: Free Munchies in Seville

7. Valen-This Way To Paradise February 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

These are great…my niece and nephews would love them…
    Valen-This Way To Paradise recently posted..How A Ride On TravelPony Can Land You A Discount Hotel Room

8. Andy Musliner February 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

I am honored by your generous endorsement of PlayTape. Thank you!

See PlayTape in action at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9B5MsIjbQg&feature=youtu.be

See detailed product photos and a growing gallery of PlayTape creations at: http://www.pinterest.com/inroadtoys .

For interested drivers, PlayTape is selling in select stores nationwide and in Canada. Direct via orders@inroadtoys.com, 888-311-7165.

— Andy Musliner, CEO InRoad Toys (inroadtoys.com)

9. Charu February 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

I need to go to this next year …those microbes look awesome!
    Charu recently posted..FlipKey or VRBO? Which is Better?

10. Allison February 25, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

It’s hard to pick a favorite, though you sold me on the PlayTape. I love how simple and stylish, and even affordable, these toys are.
    Allison recently posted..Tide pool tips at Cabrillo National Monument

11. Terry at Overnight New York February 26, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

What a nifty line-up of toys! And how cool that stuff that’s so low-tech looks so fun.
    Terry at Overnight New York recently posted..The Lowell: Light My Fire

12. Colleen Lanin March 11, 2014 at 4:01 am #

These toys look like such fun for travel or at home!
    Colleen Lanin recently posted..Overtime Bag – For Travel, Work & Motherhood