Lake Placid Views from the Clouds, aka the Cloudsplitter Gondola at Whiteface

View of Lake Placid from Little Whiteface #adk

When I arrived in Lake Placid, New York, after a five-plus-hour drive in August, I was very excited to see Lake Placid itself. I was so excited that I erroneously assumed that the lovely lake in the town of Lake Placid (of which I had a great view from the High Peaks Resort) was Lake Placid. But no, it was Mirror Lake. I didn’t see Lake Placid until I went to the famous ski resort of Whiteface and rode the Cloudsplitter Gondola. This gondola ride, which is included in the Olympic Sites Passport, takes you to the top of Little Whiteface at 3,676 feet high. The views of Lake Placid from the viewing platform are spectacular! These were the beautiful Adirondack vistas that we had driven so many hours to experience.

More views from the top of Little Whiteface. We enjoyed walking around after taking the Cloudsplitter Gondola.

We also enjoyed walking around the top of Little Whiteface and saw more great views in other directions. I’m sure that skiing around there would have been even more fun (although much colder as we were enjoying gorgeous weather in 70s.) Whiteface was the site of the 1980 Winter Olympics and it is the greatest vertical drop in the East at 3,430 feet. As we had our toddler in tow, we were just as happy to take the gondola back to the base (base elevation is 1220 feet) as opposed to skiing down the notoriously steep trails. And we had a lot of other Lake Placid adventures in store for us that day!

One of my favorite views from Cloudsplitter Gondola at Whiteface? This floral ode to New York!

One of my favorite views during the Cloudsplitter Gondola ride at Whiteface? This floral ode to New York!

Comped but Never Compromised: This trip was hosted by ORDA (Olympic Regional Development Authority of New York), but I am free to write whatever I want.

10 Responses to Lake Placid Views from the Clouds, aka the Cloudsplitter Gondola at Whiteface

1. Jennifer September 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

Beautiful! I’m from Pennsylvania, but have never been to Lake Placid.
    Jennifer recently posted..10 Must See Gardens in Europe

September 16, 2013 at 7:41 am #

I always say it’s important to see a destination from the highest point – this is exactly why!

3. Kate @30Traveler September 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Pretty pictures. I always wonder what happens to Olympics sites after the Olympics are over.
    Kate @30Traveler recently posted..Koh Samui – Great Beaches + Convenience

4. wanderingeducators
    September 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

so beautiful!
    wanderingeducators recently posted..China’s Entrepreneurial Opportunity

5. Val-This Way To Paradise September 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

This looks like a beautiful place to visit!!
    Val-This Way To Paradise recently posted..Where Is Home?

6. Jennifer Miller September 16, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

I love Lake Placid and Whiteface… skied there as a teen… great memories of walking around that lake in the dark with a young lover… :)
    Jennifer Miller recently posted..Silly shots: Photo essay in funny

7. Marina K. Villatoro September 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

This is my parents favorite spot to go on long weekends. It’s about 6 hours from my parents house and they just love it there. I haven’t been there yet, cause they moved to this house after I moved out – figures :) So have to find time when visiting them to go here.
    Marina K. Villatoro recently posted..Eco Vacations in Guatemala – Parks and Reserves #1

8. Micki
    Twitter: barefootnomads
    September 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Beautiful! Gondola rides are always such a fun trip.
    Micki recently posted..Great Places To Go With Children In Madrid

9. Jennifer September 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

I went to college in the Adirondacks, which isn’t EXACTLY Lake Placid adjacent, but kinda sorta is? Anyway, I sure do love it up there.
    Jennifer recently posted..Family Fun beyond the Ski Slopes

10. Lillie
    Twitter: WorldLillie
    September 19, 2013 at 12:27 am #

LOVE that first photo! Heavenly.
    Lillie recently posted..Photo Essay: Is India’s Amber Palace Your Dream Home?