Annecy’s Palais de l’Isle: Night and Day

The famous Palais de l'Isle in Annecy, France. Love how it looks all lit up!  #night #light

Sometimes as a travel blogger, I must ask myself difficult questions that have no ready answer. Most recently, I had to ask: Do I prefer how the famous Palais de l’Isle in Annecy, France, looks during the night or during the day?

An equally important question may be: what is the Palais de l’Isle, the tear-drop-shaped castle that sits in the Thiou canal and looks out to majestic views of Lake Annecy? Right now, it’s a museum of local history and there are cafes in the courtyard area. But since it was built in 1132, it’s the primary residence of the Lord of Annecy, then the Count of Geneva’s administrative headquarters, then a courthouse and then a mint. In the Middle Ages, it became a jail until 1865 and then again during World War II.

I first saw it during the day, after a long walk around the lake from my hotel, L’Imperial Palace Annecy, into the Old Town. I was struck by its unusual shape and how perfect it looked surrounded by the emerald water. But then I saw it at night after I had finished a delicious dinner at Les Chineurs and fell in love with it all over again. I’m a big fan of how old buildings look lit up at night, like how the Roman ruins take on a colorful sheen or the magic of Venice on a summer night. And speaking of Venice, Annecy is often called the Alpine Venetia or the Venice of France because of its canals.

OK, I think I’ve finally decided that I like it best at night. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

Do you prefer the Palais de L’Isle in all of its colors during the day or do you prefer how it seems to glow from within at night?

Palais de L'Isle in Annecy, France #mustsee #amazing

18 Responses to Annecy’s Palais de l’Isle: Night and Day

1. Amanda July 18, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Those photos are awesome! I think i like it best during the day. Annecy looks amazing- wish I could go right now!

2. Penny Sadler July 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

More romantic at night. :)
    Penny Sadler recently posted..Postcard from Voghera, Italy

3. Marysia @ My Travel Affairs July 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I personally prefer it during the day to be honest! I have many pictures taken at night and day but it is just more colorful and cheerful, very picturesque!
    Marysia @ My Travel Affairs recently posted..Friday Lens Affair #27

4. wanderingeducators
    July 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

day – LOVE the colors!
    wanderingeducators recently posted..Thomas Jefferson: American President…and Ice Cream Maker?

5. Steve
    Twitter: SteveWBT
    July 23, 2013 at 2:46 am #

Tough choice, but I’d go for daytime – I like the contrast of the timeless castle and the hustle and bustle of modern Annecy
    Steve recently posted..Pyramid of the Magician – Uxmal, Mexico

6. Jennifer Miller July 23, 2013 at 3:03 am #

Day! I love the colours!

7. Adam
    Twitter: travelsofadam
    July 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Wow – stunning photos! I love the daytime shot though :)
    Adam recently posted..Things To Know Before Traveling to England

8. Cathy Sweeney
    Twitter: TravelingWithS
    July 23, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

This is the toughest choice I’ve had to make all day — so far. :) I’m going with the daytime shot. I can see myself sitting at the cafe enjoying the view and thinking how lucky I am to be there. Dreaming…
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..At Home in Verucchio

9. Lillie
    Twitter: WorldLillie
    July 24, 2013 at 3:49 am #

Super cool! Both views are lovely.
    Lillie recently posted..Is a Cape Cod Vacation Worth It? 6 Reasons Why…

10. Val-This Way To Paradise July 24, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Wow…that’s a hard decision…I like the day best, though I think…I love light!!
    Val-This Way To Paradise recently posted..Pictures From Udawalawe National Park, Sri Lanka

11. Jennifer July 25, 2013 at 12:00 am #

It sure does look romantic at night, but I’d still prefer to be there in the daytime. Because that means I’m adjusted to the time zone! haha.
    Jennifer recently posted..Fun Packages at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Denver Downtown

July 25, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Super tough – but I have to go with daytime! Between the mountains, the waters and the color, it’s stunning!
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..The 3500′s: How Not to Despair with a High Inscrita Number When Applying to be an Auxiliar in Spain

13. Bethaney - Flashpacker Family
    Twitter: flashpackerfam
    July 25, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

Day!!! I think the colours are better. :)
    Bethaney – Flashpacker Family recently posted..Is Australia Just Too Darn Expensive?

14. Andrea July 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Gorgeous night shot! Day is pretty too but night wins it
    Andrea recently posted..Big In Texas: Megachurches

15. Larissa
    Twitter: changes_long
    July 28, 2013 at 3:34 am #

I like the night view best-it has a sort of mystical quality to it.
    Larissa recently posted..Tips for traveling on a budget

16. Mary @ Green Global Travel
    July 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

My vote is for the daytime. The purple of the flowers really add to the shot.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..INTERVIEW: Blackfish Documentary Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite Takes On Sea World

17. Abby
    Twitter: abbytegnelia
    August 1, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

DAY!!!! Because it doesn’t look real. It looks like you superimposed it on there! Wow.
    Abby recently posted..Salute! Trinchero Napa Valley is Rich in Italian History