Horse-Drawn Carriages in Seville

horse-and-buggies in Seville

The Vintage Cam iPhone app plus the Plastic Bullet iPhone app plus an Instagram filter results in a very old-fashioned looking photo… Oh yeah, the horse-drawn carriages also make it look old. But this was taken October 2011.

There was something magical about the horse-drawn carriages of Seville, Spain. Sure, they’re just about the only thing more touristy than taking a gondola ride in Venice. And to be honest, I wasn’t even tempted by horse and buggies in Seville — probably because we had a very active 11-month-old with us when we were there in October 2011. So I had my own carriage, so to speak. Well, actually it was a Maclaren stroller. But I was strolling and the babe was riding and alas there no horses involved.

So really, I just enjoyed looking at the horse-drawn carriages that congregated around the Seville Cathedral. They looked perfectly in sync with this massive Gothic construction. This photo to your left could have easily been taken 200 years ago. Except, of course, that I took it on my iPhone.

I see horse-drawn carriages all the time in New York City, and I can safely say that both the horses and the carriages look nicer in Seville. I just love those yellow wheels!

This photo was taken just around the corner from the Cathedral. The horse and buggy look great with these colorful buildings in the background. This square, which was hosting a food festival, doesn’t allow cars, just like many of parts of Seville. But it does allow horses…

Have you ever taken a horse-drawn carriage ride? Do you think it’s a fun way to see the city or just too touristy for you?

11 Responses to Horse-Drawn Carriages in Seville

1. Andi
    Twitter: andiperullo
    March 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

Gorgeous! This reminds me of the town Parati in Brasil.

2. Susan Nelson March 9, 2013 at 4:29 am #

Great pics….and I, too, love the yellow wheels. The backdrop of the cathedral and buildings is just amazing. Thank you!

3. Lindsay
    Twitter: thetraveluster
    March 11, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

I LOVE Seville! I lived there for 8 months in 2003, and it holds such a special place in my heart! I love seeing posts on Seville! Nice photos of the carriages and city in background.

May 21, 2013 at 11:18 am #

I wrote a similar article back in the late Fall when the only thing colorful during those dark, damp days were the yellow spokes of the horse carriages. I have yet to ride in one after so long living in Seville (with the exception of riding them during the big fair), but one day….
    Cat of Sunshine and Siestas recently posted..Photo Essay: Driving the Picturesque Bay of Kotor, Montenegro

5. wandering educators
    May 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

it’s beautiful! i’d love it. :)
    wandering educators recently posted..Visiting Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt

6. Sandra Foyt
    Twitter: SandraFoyt
    May 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

Beautiful to look at and to photograph, I’ve never been tempted to ride the Central Park carriages. Those horses always look so sad to me! I suspect that I would feel the same in Seville as in NYC.
    Sandra Foyt recently posted..Wild Center Connects People and Nature

7. Heather Cowper
    Twitter: heathercowper
    May 27, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Like you I like to photograph those carriages, but can’t quite bring myself to pay up for something that I could do on my own two feet
    Heather Cowper recently posted..Day by Day sightseeing diary – our Rhine River Cruise

8. Terry at Overnight New York May 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

I haven’t wanted to go near a horse-drawn carriage since seeing the poor creatures in Manila, drooping in the heat. But these horses look pretty — and healthy.
    Terry at Overnight New York recently posted..Yotel: Catch the Intrepid’s Summer Movies

9. Mary @ Green Global Travel
    May 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

We’re big fans of any town square that bans cars in favor of pedestrians. I love the community feel it creates.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..Open Letter to Travel Bloggers (& a Huge Announcement for EcoAdventure Media)

10. Dale
    Twitter: ai_followus
    May 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

The last time I was in a buggy was probably about 27 years ago when I was small enough for a Maclaren one!

Really tempted to try one, but only if it has yellow wheels!