Laduree Macarons Make it to NYC From Paris… Every Other Day!

macarons pink and green

Incroyable Almande and Framboise Macarons

Although Laduree, the world-famous macaron purveyor, opened their first U.S. location in April, it took me until this week to walk to the mere mile from my home in Manhattan. The good news is that by the time I got there, the lines had died down because all of the true macaron lovers had already made their pilgrimage to the Parisian macaron mecca on Madison.

green macaron laduree

Instead of ganache, the filling inside the new Incroyable Almande has the texture of a marshmallow.

laduree macarons nycBut the even better news is that I was just in time for a new flavor that was introduced to commemorate their 150th anniversary: Incroyable Almande. Take that, early adopters!

The Incroyable Almande’s shell is nearly the same color as the  standard pistachio macaron, but it has a subtle almond essence instead. What really distinguishes the incroyable almande from the rest  is its filling — it’s has a spongy, marshmallow texture and taste.

colorful macarons

Hard to choose, but I managed…

While I was excited to have the opportunity to sample the latest flavor, I liked the other macaron I bought much better. The pink Framboise was as delicious as it looks: a raspberry shell filled with raspberry jam. (Laduree sells jam and some other treats too, but it’s most macarons.) Ganache is actually the most classic filling, but I didn’t have any of those.

So yes, I managed to limit myself to two. That’s because visiting the beautiful Laduree store is part of the experience, and I wanted an excuse to return soon! There are 13 flavors, giving me plenty of reasons to go back. Being in the store transports you instantly to Paris from NYC, just like how the macarons are transported instantly from NYC to Paris. OK, maybe not instantly, as these delicate desserts face a seven-hour plane ride from France. Amazingly, new batches are flown in every other day or so. It’s a Francophile’s dream, but a locavore’s nightmare. But for a true taste of Paris, it’s very convenient (864 Madison Ave., at 71st street) and affordable ($2.70 per macaron). Unfortunately, it could also be addictive…

laduree window madison

9 Responses to Laduree Macarons Make it to NYC From Paris… Every Other Day!

1. Sophie
    Twitter: SophieR
    February 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Love Ladurée. Didn’t know they had a branch in the USA, though. Have you tried their rose-water macaron? Nom nom!
    Sophie recently posted..Travel photo – Brimstone Hill Fortress, Saint Kitts

2. Liz Borod Wright
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/travelogged
    February 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Oh, I’ll have to try rose-water next! The salted caramel is also on my short list :)

3. wandering educators
    February 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

ooh my!!! yum!! salted caramel? i’m in!
    wandering educators recently posted..Currently Freezing up North

4. Sam @ Samsplayground.com
    Twitter: SamKynmanCole
    February 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

haha I just can’t get over the colour, they look too colourful to eat! But you said their delicious so I’m pretty keen to try one one day.
    Sam @ Samsplayground.com recently posted..White Water Rafting in Glenwood Springs

5. Shirlene from Idelish
    Twitter: idelishTravel
    February 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

I didn’t know about this when we were in NYC recently! Definitely adding it to our list next time we’re in NYC!
    Shirlene from Idelish recently posted..{Tips} If nothing else, take these 3 photographs on your travels

6. Jill March 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

The line in front of the store was halfway down the block the other day…and it was cold!

• Liz Borod Wright
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/travelogged
      March 19, 2012 at 3:24 am #

I think I got really lucky with the line that day because I’ve been back twice since and there have been at least 30 people lined up in the small store. I haven’t seen the line go outside, but I bet it would on a weekend.

7. danee gilmartin
    Twitter: museumchick
    March 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

I’m such a sucker for french macarons and so happy Laduree finally came to NYC. Now we just need a Pierre Herme!
    danee gilmartin recently posted..A Few Things I Saw at the Armory Art Show

• Liz Borod Wright
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/travelogged
      March 19, 2012 at 3:22 am #

I’ve never tried Pierre Herme… It would be awesome if they came to NYC. If not, it will be one more reason to go to Paris :)