Santini’s Gelati: The International Language of Ice Cream

santini's ice cream

Vanilla and dulce de leche gelati in a copo pequeno

The moment I saw the sign “I gelati piu fini del mondo” outside Santini in the Chiado district, I knew exactly what it meant: The world’s finest ice cream. This despite the fact that I don’t speak Italian or Portuguese, the latter being relevant because this Italian sign was in Lisbon. While it would be nice to speak those languages, it turns out that I speak another one that has proven very useful throughout my travels — the international language of ice cream!

I have managed to eat at Santini three times. The first two times were at the Chiado location. I had vanilla and passion fruit the first time and chocolate and coconut the second time. The third time was at the location in Cascais, a seaside resort town 30 minutes outside Lisbon. There I had  dulce de leche and vanilla. All were excellent!

Santini’s lets you get two flavors even if you order the smallest size “copo pequeno”, which is best ice cream practices in my opinion. I hate when they only allow one flavor. If you order the next size up, you can even have three flavors. Also, they swirl together the flavors in a way I’ve never seen before but recognized as true gelato artistry.

So is Santini’s the finest gelato in the world? I’m not sure, only because there is so much incredible gelato out there, like my favorite gelateria in Florence. But it is amazing gelato and well worth three visits in four days.

gelato cascais

Santini in Cascasis

10 Responses to Santini’s Gelati: The International Language of Ice Cream

1. Stephanie - The Travel Chica
    Twitter: thetravelchica
    October 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

No more dulce de leche for me after living in Buenos Aires for 5 months, but I would love to try their other flavors.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Buenos Aires Odd Jobs: The Tour Guide Part 2 – Graffiti Art

2. Nomadic Samuel November 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

I’m a dulce de leche addict – I would dig right in :)
    Nomadic Samuel recently posted..Faces of Asia | Part 5 | Travel Video

3. Sofie
    Twitter: wondwand
    November 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Mmmmm I want some;. Now!:D
    Sofie recently posted..Does this traveler need a smartphone?

4. Julika January 28, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I loved Santinis so much! I could eat their passion fruit ice cream every day!
    Julika recently posted..Studying Abroad in Europe – Myths and Reality

5. Reena @ Wanderplex January 29, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

I got a little bit obsessed with gelato when I was in Italy… would love to try this particular one too. Might be time to put Lisbon on the bucket list… :P

6. wandering educators
    January 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

i think i’d do 6 visits in 4 days. just saying. YUM!!!
    wandering educators recently posted..Keep Up the London 2012 Olympics Sports Fever in 2013

7. Larissa
    Twitter: changes_long
    January 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

MMMMMM! I agree that there is an international language of ice cream. We also found a great spot in a surprising location-Auckland, NZ. The Italian owner was quite a character: http://www.changesinlongitude.com/the-worlds-best-gelato-is-in-auckand-new-zealand/

Viva Gelatos! :)
    Larissa recently posted..Free things to do in Florence

8. Micki
    Twitter: barefootnomads
    January 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Oh, heck yes. We’ll be in Portugal next month, and Santini’s just made the list.
    Micki recently posted..What To Do With Your Vehicle When You Travel

9. D.J. - The World of Deej February 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Wow…my kind of place:)
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Avenue of the Oaks – Picture of the Week

10. Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com
    Twitter: ALEAHphils
    February 4, 2013 at 5:16 am #

I’ve had quite a few cups of gelato in my travel to Europe, but the best one I found in Florence. Oh, I miss that city!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Snapshot Sunday—Love Locks in Europe