Eating at the Home of the TurDucKen

Turducken Sign

Who could resist a sign like that?

Every day as we would drive up and down the Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, FL, we would pass a sign that said “Home of the TurDucKen: As seen on the Food Network.” It was the kind of sign that couldn’t help but make me curious. It hung proudly on the Alpine Steakhouse, which is a sort of an old-fashioned meat market, deli and diner under one not-so-lofty roof.

TurduckenI remember first hearing about TurDucKen a few Thanksgivings ago. John Madden popularized it when he carved a TurDucKen with his bare hands on air in 2008. People seem to like to make fun of TurDucKen, but I’ve always thought it sounded good: a deboned duck stuffed inside a deboned chicken stuffed inside a deboned turkey. As a fan of the fowl, I had long wanted to try this Southern dish.

turducken shirt

The staff wore these t-shirts. They're available for sale for true TurDucKen fans.

So how was the TurDucKen? I really liked it! It was a bit too heavy though, since it’s a thick slab of meat, or rather three meats. They sort of skimped on the duck portion, but I think that was just how my TurDucKen was sliced. If you could believe it, there was stuffing too, made with spinach and and Andouille sausage. It came with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and gravy, which I asked for on the side. There was also a roasted red pepper on it as a garnish — perhaps to add some much needed color to the dish.

You can watch the Food Network video below — it appeared on episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, which is hosted by Guy Fieri. The dish looks a lot more appetizing in the video than it does in my photo!

7 Responses to Eating at the Home of the TurDucKen

1. Michael Hodson February 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

this made me chuckle — good post.
    Michael Hodson recently posted..African Train Experience Kapiri to Dar es Salaam

2. Christy @ Ordinary Traveler February 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

Yum! I have never heard of a TurDucKen, but I recently tried duck with an orange sauce and it was amazing!
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..Photo of the Week- Light at the End of a Prison Cell 2

3. cailin
    Twitter: cailinoneil
    February 24, 2011 at 3:02 am #

I’ve never tried TurDuckEn but I’ve been interested in trying it! Duck seems a little too slimey for me though hahaha
    cailin recently posted..Winner of the Travel Yourself Favorite Things Contest

4. Lola February 28, 2011 at 11:14 am #

I’ve always wanted to try this! Looks yummy.

5. Brooke vs. the World March 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

So funny! I want to try it for sure :)
    Brooke vs. the World recently posted..Day 59- My Day with a Rabbi in Rome

6. Jeremy B
    Twitter: budgettravelsac
    May 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

So did John Madden really invent the turducken? :) I have to admit I would like to try this. I LOVE LOVE LOVE turkey and chicken. Not as big of a fan of duck though but I bet this would taste delicious!
    Jeremy B recently posted..The essential visitor’s guide to Slovenia

7. Jennifer June 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

I always thought this was more of a…joke food, if you know what I mean.
    Jennifer recently posted..Top 5 Reasons Why the Colorado Rockies Rock in the Summertime