Why Having a Baby Is Like Traveling

babyFor the past six weeks, I’ve been navigating uncharted territory: Babyland. I had my first child at the end of November and it’s been quite a trip. In fact, having a baby reminds me of traveling for four reasons.

1. I’m totally jetlagged. I do get sleep, but it’s not during the hours that I’m used to (i.e. nighttime). I’m living in NYC but sleeping as though I was in Hawaii. I have that groggy, jet-lagged feeling, but I’m slowly adjusting to it as all new moms eventually do.

2. I’m wearing my “airplane jeans.” On almost all of the flights I’ve taken for the past two years, I’ve worn a pair of jeans that’s a little big and very low-waisted for maximum comfort. Economy seats are restricting enough — I don’t need my jeans to be. Well, now I’m wearing them because they’re the only ones that fit post-baby, sigh…

3. I don’t speak the language. I’m trying my best to understand the different cries, but it’s hard. If only there was some kind of dictionary that explained all of the various baby noises, not to mention how to talk back. One phrase I really wish I could communicate to my son: “Your bottle will be ready in a minute!”

4. I’m constantly taking photos. For me, taking pictures is a big part of travel. Sometimes I even need to remind myself to put the camera away because I don’t want to limit my experience to being stuck behind the lens. Well, I’m not taking as many pictures as I did in say, Cappodocia, but that’s just because my little subject usually has his eyes closed. Believe me, I’m still taking a ton!

28 Responses to Why Having a Baby Is Like Traveling

1. Jeremy Branham January 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

HA HA! I’ve never thought about it like this but you are exactly right! Those same things about travel do apply to a baby. However, I will say there is a difference – as much as I love traveling, having a child is much more rewarding!

2. GlobalButterfly
    Twitter: andiperullo
    January 4, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

You are SO right!!! What a fabulous new adventure you’re on. :)

3. leslietravel January 5, 2011 at 4:03 am #

Lol. Great post! Hey, at least you are wearing “airline jeans” and not the dreaded “mom jeans” 😉

4. Jill January 5, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

So true! And I love the photos. What a handsome chap!

5. Mariawen January 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Congratulations on joining the mommy club! Don’t miss the sleepless nights, but around 3 months you’ll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

6. Jeanna January 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

What a cute little angel… For me travel without picture taking is not complete. There is one time that I left my camera at home. I felt so uncomfortable. Good there was a store who sells disposable camera. Well better that nothing, right?

7. Angela
    Twitter: angelacorrias
    January 16, 2011 at 12:40 am #

Love it! It is so true! Congratulations, the baby is gorgeous, keep taking photos as if you were in Cappadocia 😉

8. Barbara Weibel January 16, 2011 at 1:18 am #

Liz! I had no idea! Congratulations to you. You have my utmost admiration. Being a mother is the hardest, most important job in the world, and I admire anyone who has the guts to try to do it all.

9. Jason
    Twitter: alpaca_suitcase
    January 16, 2011 at 1:38 am #

Liz,
    If you think you are going to use this “baby thing” as an excuse for not blogging regularly…we’ll, that a little bit lame. C’mon, buck up…you don’t need any sleep! Travelogged, jetlagged and sleep-deprived. Enjoy this time…all you’ll remember is the fun stuff.
    Congrats!
    Jason

10. Go Mexico Guide January 16, 2011 at 4:00 am #

Congratulations! I wouldn’t have thought there was a connection between the two, but it makes perfect sense. 😉

11. Abby
    Twitter: abbytegnelia
    January 16, 2011 at 5:59 am #

Amazing. You are amazing, and this post is hilarious, amazing, creative and wonderful. Go Liz!!

12. Abby
    Twitter: abbytegnelia
    January 16, 2011 at 5:59 am #

13. Michael Hodson January 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

awwwww — congrats!!!

14. Ordinary Traveler January 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Great comparison. Love it! Congrats on the new addition! :)

15. Ayngelina
    Twitter: ayngelina
    January 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Airplane jeans, oh that made me laugh. Congrats Liz!

16. Traveling Canucks January 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Traveling will never be the same! 😉

17. Abi January 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Ah – congratulations! And great insight into travelling and parenthood. Wishing you all the best, Abi

18. NancydBrown January 22, 2011 at 12:32 am #

Cute! Congratulations, Liz. Welcome to the club! The sleepless nights pick up again when they are teenagers. LOL.

19. Sophie
    Twitter: SophieR
    January 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Lovely boy! Congratulations :)

20. Fida January 28, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Yeyhhh…congratulations! You had a good training :)

21. Anonymous January 28, 2011 at 1:48 am #

Just getting caught up on my stumbles and saw this. Congratulations!

22. Robin @ My Melange January 29, 2011 at 4:53 am #

Congrats Liz! I had no idea. Have fun being a Mom. What a cutie :-)

23. Nancie (Ladyexpat)
    Twitter: ladyexpat
    February 12, 2011 at 1:49 am #

What a beautiful little guy! Congratulations.

Would love to hear your thoughts sometime on traveling with infants and your children. I’ve noticed that it seems to be all the rage these days.

24. Sonja February 21, 2011 at 3:58 am #

Great analogy! I love it! Don’t give up on traveling — it’s lots of fun with kids! It’s what I blog about at http://www.toeuropewithkids.com.

25. Danee Gilmartin
    Twitter: museumchick
    February 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

Good luck in Babyland- I hear it’s amazing and take lots of pictures! He’s adorable :)
    Danee Gilmartin recently posted..A Romantic Winter Sunday at the NYC Ballet

26. Federico March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Congratulations! I do have a question though: do you expect to be able to hit the road anytime soon?
    Federico recently posted..5 Steps to Finding the Right Travel Deal