The Beach at Siesta Key, FL, Is Gorgeous, Clean and Oil-Free

Siesta_key

I planned my trip to Sarasota, FL, several weeks before the BP oil spill in the Gulf on Mexico. Every time I'd been to Sarasota, it was too cold to enjoy the beach but I figured that it should finally be warm enough on Memorial Day Weekend. Well, now I wasn't worried about the weather — I was afraid that the beautiful Siesta Key beach, which sits on the Gulf coast, would be contaminated by the oil spill. Luckily, my fears have been for naught because Siesta Key beach has remained clean and oil-free (as you can see in the photo above, which was taken on Friday). I've now spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday (today) relaxing on the beach.

Siesta Beach was named the second best beach in the US by Dr. Beach, who uses 50 criteria to determine his list. And yes, this list does include Hawaii. Siesta Beach has sand like talcum power: fine and white. If I brought you there blindfolded and then told you that you were in the Caribbean, you'd believe me, especially as you felt the calm, clear, warm (81 degrees!) water. It would be an elaborate ruse, yes, but that's how good this beach is. I'm so thankful that it hasn't been affected by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

So far, no beaches in Florida have had to close because of the oil spill. Ironically, the beaches in Florida believed to be at the biggest risk are Key West and Miami, because of the loop current. So the beaches on Florida's Gulf Coast should be safe. In the meantime, British Petroleum, plug up that leak!

, , , , ,

9 Responses to The Beach at Siesta Key, FL, Is Gorgeous, Clean and Oil-Free

1. Byron Bay Luxury Accommodation June 2, 2010 at 2:05 am #

Looks like fun ! Great photos by the way :)

2. Arlene June 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

I am so glad you went when you did. I hear that the oil is now hours away from Florida. It is heart wrenching. But I have to give it to you, this is a beautiful spot.

3. Marty June 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm #

We love Siesta Key and visit often. We think it has the most wonderful beach. It would sure be ashamed if it was ruined by the oil spill.

4. Jessica June 5, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

Look beautiful! Where did you stay while you were there? Do you have any suggestions of hotels to stay at in the area?

5. Susan June 8, 2010 at 7:58 am #

I am so glad to hear that the beach is in good condition. We are going to Siesta Key in 2 weeks and I was worried!

6. Aly June 9, 2010 at 1:44 am #

Awww my favorite beach in FL, Navarre beach, might be a squall away from oil!! Glad to hear your beach is fine, let’s all hope it stays clear and beautiful!

7. Sean June 15, 2010 at 3:09 am #

Beaches in FL, are clean and beautiful. Happy to know that, oil leakage isn’t a problem there. Going there within a week to enjoy the holidays at beautiful spot. just booked my hotel with http://www.citybreak.uk.com

8. Sofia August 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

That surely looks like it deserves its place on the list!

9. wanderingeducators
    January 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

I’d be there in a heartbeat. it’s so cold today!
    wanderingeducators recently posted..Taiwanese Night Market Culture: Eat, Drink, and Be Daring