Here are my picks for the 10 most romantic destinations…
1. Tuscany: We tried to “do Tuscany” as a day trip from Florence. We had a fun day, stopping into Siena and San Gimignano (pictured left). But we soon realized that the whole point of Tuscany is to rent a luxurious villa for a week (at least!) and just enjoy the romance of it all.
2. Santorini: When you arrive in Santorini (pictured below), all you’ll want to do is gaze at the perfect views with your significant other. If you can motivate, however, definitely check out the tucked-away Red Beach.
3. Hawaii: I spent my honeymoon on Maui and the Big Island, so I’m just a little bit biased! By the way, Kauai looks pretty great too. (If you’d rather mock Hawaii honeymooners, check out this sketch from Saturday Night Live.)
5. Tabacon Hot Springs, Costa Rica: I loved the beaches (and monkeys) at Manuel Antonio, but they couldn’t top the off-the-charts romance factor at the Tabacon Hot Springs, as we were fortunate enough to enjoy them without them without major crowds.
7. Queenstown, New Zealand: I’ve never been to New Zealand, but I desperately want to go because it looks impossibly beautiful. And if it wasn’t one of the most romantic destinations in the world, would ABC’s The Bachelor have chosen it as the location for Jason Mesnick’s fantasy dates? I don’t think so.
9. Montreal: Montreal’s staunch Frenchness among a sea of English-speakers makes it a very special place, as does the well-preserved Old Town and the annual lantern show at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It’s such a romantic city that my friend told me she was considering having her destination wedding there!
10. New York City: When you live here it doesn’t always seem so romantic; it just feels like business as usual. But when you step outside your usual routine to admire the fresh snow blanketing Central Park, go to a Broadway show or stroll along the new High Line park on a sunny day, you remind yourself how special NYC truly is.
It was hard to narrow it down to just 10! What would you add to my list? Please let me know in the comments below because I’m going to write a follow-up post with more romantic places.