Valentine’s Day Edition: Top 10 Romantic Destinations

Almost any destination can be romantic if you’re with the right person. You don’t need the perfect beach, a breathtaking sunset, an enchanting view or even a gondola ride. But those do help!

Here are my picks for the 10 most romantic destinations…

Tuscany_vday1 1. Tuscany: We tried to “do Tuscany” as a day trip from Florence. We had a fun day, stopping into Siena and San Gimignano (pictured left). But we soon realized that the whole point of Tuscany is to rent a luxurious villa for a week (at least!) and just enjoy the romance of it all.

2. Santorini: When you arrive in Santorini (pictured below), all you’ll want to do is gaze at the perfect views with your significant other. If you can motivate, however, definitely check out the tucked-away Red Beach.

Sant_vday1 3. Hawaii: I spent my honeymoon on Maui and the Big Island, so I’m just a little bit biased! By the way, Kauai looks pretty great too. (If you’d rather mock Hawaii honeymooners, check out this sketch from Saturday Night Live.)

4. Paris: Where it’s your first time or your 15th time, Paris is the ultimate romantic destination.

5. Tabacon Hot Springs, Costa Rica: I loved the beaches (and monkeys) at Manuel Antonio, but they couldn’t top the off-the-charts romance factor at the Tabacon Hot Springs, as we were fortunate enough to enjoy them without them without major crowds.

6. Vienna: As if the copious castles weren’t enough, Vienna also has some of the best desserts in the world. So if chocolate puts you in the mood for romance…

7. Queenstown, New Zealand: I’ve never been to New Zealand, but I desperately want to go because it looks impossibly beautiful. And if it wasn’t one of the most romantic destinations in the world, would ABC’s The Bachelor have chosen it as the location for Jason Mesnick’s fantasy dates? I don’t think so.

8. Napa Valley, CA: Great wine, great food and great views — for many that’s the real triple crown. For a really festive atmosphere, head to Domaine Chandon for a champagne tasting.

9. Montreal: Montreal’s staunch Frenchness among a sea of English-speakers makes it a very special place, as does the well-preserved Old Town and the annual lantern show at the Montreal Botanical Gardens. It’s such a romantic city that my friend told me she was considering having her destination wedding there!

10. New York City: When you live here it doesn’t always seem so romantic; it just feels like business as usual. But when you step outside your usual routine to admire the fresh snow blanketing Central Park, go to a Broadway show or stroll along the new High Line park on a sunny day, you remind yourself how special NYC truly is.

It was hard to narrow it down to just 10! What would you add to my list? Please let me know in the comments below because I’m going to write a follow-up post with more romantic places.

, , , , ,

11 Responses to Valentine’s Day Edition: Top 10 Romantic Destinations

1. Jack - eyeflare travel tips
    Twitter: eyeflare
    February 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

How about Meteora in Greece? Or Erice in Sicily (I can vouch for that town, it’s beautiful).

2. soultravelers3 February 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

You’ve got some great ones!
    Galicia in summer, Rovinj or Dubrovnik, Cinque Terre, Italy. Verona & see an opera in summer, a riad in Fez Medina, sailing the Turquoise riviera or Capaddocia in Turkey…..just really too many to list! 😉

3. Angela K. Nickerson February 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

Odd? Yes, but I have to recommend Northern Minnesota in the winter. We spent an incredible week snowshoeing during the day and watching the Northern Lights at night from our hot tub while being serenaded by wolves. It was amazing! :)

4. Brian - Zicasso.com February 14, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Thanks for a wonderful list!
    Tahiti, with an over-water bungalow, is certainly high on the list. For something rather uncommon, I recommend the Los Roques islands in Venezuela’s Caribbean — charming boutique B&B’s run by Italians, great food, no cars, and absolutely spectacular beaches and aqua waters…

5. Heather on her travels February 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

I’m afraid my valentines day has been more along the lines of ’10 places I can get to cheaply from Bristol for a break with the kids’

6. AAB February 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

Savannah, GA is incredibly romantic! Carriage rides, cuisine, history…

7. TheWordWire February 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Oh, what a great list — some of them I’ve been lucky enough to visit personally, and some were already on my wish-list. Thanks for bringing to light a few more places to dream about!
    I totally agree with your sentiment that anywhere can be romantic if you’re traveling with the right person. I posted an article today about my own favorite romantic spots — if you’re interested:

8. Nancy D. Brown February 14, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

Lugano, Switzerland is pretty darn romantic.
    If you get back to California’s wine country, Healdsburg is romantic and has some great wine, as does Mendocino’s Anderson Valley.

9. crazycoder February 15, 2010 at 8:09 am #

Nice pick of locations… Mine is also travel related blog pal… Can you link me pal

10. Arlene February 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

Great places. Some I have been to. Others, I wish. One place I did like was Quebec.

11. Abi September 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

Ooh, Venice, Prague, Seville, St Emilion…I could go on and on!