Some of the Best Sunsets I’ve Ever Seen

I love sunsets. That’s not very original, I know. I mean does anybody actually dislike sunsets? What’s not to like? Sunsets are pretty much a universal crowd-pleaser.

That said, I certainly think there is a continuum of sunset appreciation. True sunset lovers view watching the sun go down as an activity unto itself. They seek out the proper place (facing as due west as possible, few obstructions to the horizon) and time. Then there’s the question of whether you want to watch the sunset solo, as a romantic activity or with the happy hour crowd at Barba Roja in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica (pictured left). What’s more, sunsets don’t care if you’ve blown your budget on the most exclusive luxury accommodations or if you’re one of the masses on cheap holidays.

Since all of the planning in the world won’t help if the weather doesn’t cooperate and an errant cloud or unexpected haze ruins the sunset, it’s good to have a drink in your hand to mitigate the potential disappointment.

I have witnessed countless spectacular sunsets without my camera. Or even worse I have had my camera with me but the photos completely failed to capture the majesty of the sunset. Here are some of my favorite sunsets that I’ve succeeded in photographing.

Florence_sunset
Arno River in Florence, Italy, July 2009
Top_sun
Grand Anse Beach, Grenada, October 2009. Yes, the sun was huge… Perhaps because we were so close to the equator?
Bridge_sunset
Chrissy Field, San Francisco, CA, May 2009
Santorini_sunset
Firostefani, Santorini, Greece, June 2008
Sunset_sarasota
Beach at Siesta Key, FL, Jan 2008

Where have you seen some of your best sunsets? Do you think it’s better to try to photograph them or simply savor the moment?

, , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Some of the Best Sunsets I’ve Ever Seen

1. Vera Marie Badertscher
    Twitter: pen4hire
    February 4, 2010 at 11:52 pm #

Tucson, Arizona sunsets cannot be beat. I have not been everywhere, as I said in my recent 36 Hours in Tucson post, but I have been at Key West and at Oia on Santorini for sunsets, and Tucson wins hands (and suns) down.

2. Robin @ My Melange February 5, 2010 at 1:43 am #

Lovely Liz. I’m the idiot on the beach snapping photos for hours one after the other trying to get just the right sunset shot. So, guess what my answer is 😉

3. Michela February 8, 2010 at 7:33 am #

Beautiful Picts!! I love sunsets too, my fav is the Grenada’s sunset!

4. FoodTravelDiva February 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

Gorgeous sunsets! Some of the best sunsets I’ve savored were in Barbados, St. Kitts & Nevis, Maui Hawaii and Miami Florida.

5. Cara February 9, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

I live in Mission Beach, San Diego, and very night I get a front-row seat to one of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen. (and I finally saw the green flash the other night!).

6. Craig Zabransky February 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

Yes, totally a fan of the sunset. Thanks for these great shots. There is something so magical, so majestic, so in the moment about the sunset.
    Stay Adventurous,
    Craig

7. Kirsten
    Twitter: kirsten_al
    February 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Best sunset I have ever seen was in Mexico, Playa Del Carmen. Truly amazing color!!
    But in the US, best sunset to this date was at Redondo Beach, near Half Moon Bay in California. Did a whole blog post on the topic because I was so moved.