I did some awesome traveling this year, but I wish I could have done even more — and visited all of the places that I featured on this blog. I'm lucky to have so many people willing to report about their trips so I can maximize the amount of destinations covered on Travelogged, but the downside is that sometimes I get quite envious. Here are the top 10 trips I wish I had taken this year.
1. Peru: Who wouldn't be ever-so-slightly jealous of Amanda's trip to Peru? She went to Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley, Lake Titicaca and the Ballestas Islands and Paracas Park. Peru is high on my list of must-see countries.
2. Japan: Will proved that, yes, you can go to Japan for just one week. He managed to cover a lot of ground in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hakone, and eat a lot of great meals, too. Everyone always raves about Japan, and I really have to get myself there sometime soon.
3. Lebanon: Heather toured the countryside of Lebanon, visiting the historical attractions of Byblos, Sidon and Qadisha Valley. My trip to Turkey this year has made me eager to see more of the Middle East, and these sites looks so interesting.
4. Switzerland: On Monday, I'm leaving for Park City, and this will be my first time skiing in 2009. So, I've spent all year being jealous of Katie's ski trip to Gstaad and Jeremy's ski trip to Verbier. I've been to Switzerland in the summer, but never in the winter.
5. Nicaragua: I went to Costa Rica this year and absolutely loved it. But it did make me wonder about Nicaragua, which many say is what Costa Rica was like 25 years ago. Corey went to Managua, Leon, Granada and San Jaun Del Sur.
6. India: Back in the spring, Partha told me about the amazing displays of folk artistry at the Durga Puja festival that takes place every fall. I should have booked my first trip to India then and there, but alas I did not. I was very grateful that Nandini shared her photos from Durga Puja 2009 in Calcutta.
7. Colombia: I had to a lot to say about Conde Nast Traveler's 2010 It List, but I certainly agreed that Colombia is red-hot. Rebecca went to Cartagena for a wedding with a group of friends and had a great time hanging around the old city, taking a boat to nearby islands and soaking in Mud Volcano.
8. Tunisia: I loved seeing the ruins at Ostia Antica just outside of Rome, so I remain very intriguied by Carthage, one of the most important Roman ruins that's actually located in Tunisia. On a cruise around the Mediterranean, Joanne saw Carthage and also visited the souks.
9. Kauai: After Maggie's wedding in Half Moon Bay, CA, I went to Carmel, Big Sur and San Francisco. She took a honeymoon to Maui and Kauai. I've been to Maui and the Big Island, but I've always want to go see Kauai too. And after viewing Maggie's photos of her helicopter tour, I want to go even more.
10. Belize: Catherine's trip to Belize is truly envy-inducing. Not only did she spend time in San Ignacio, San Pedro and Caye Caulker, but she even took a three-day sailing and snorkeling trip around some tiny, lesser-known islands.
Where do you wish you had gone in 2009?