Suddenly, Uganda is Everywhere

Arua

I don’t usually think about or talk about Uganda. After all, I’ve never been to the country that Winston Churchill dubbed “The Pearl of Africa.” And its safety and stability seem to keep it out of the headlines. But in the past few days, it seems that Uganda is everywhere in my life.

It all started on Wednesday, when I met an avid traveler who told me that she absolutely loves Uganda and tries to visit there annually. I was pretty impressed that she’s able to go from her home in Breckenridge, CO, (aka my favorite ski resort) to Africa so often when I can’t even manage to get from NYC to Colorado every year. As I was hearing all about her upcoming trip this summer, I remembered that I’ve been meaning to write a book review of First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria by Eve Brown-Waite, which I read last month and really enjoyed. Yesterday, I was looking it over in preparation of writing something about it. Much of the book takes place in Uganda because that’s where Eve’s husband does his humanitarian work.

And now this morning, I rummaged through the New York Times until I get to the travel section (as usual) and what greeted me on the front page? Uganda, of course. “Wild on the Nile” relates Jeffrey Gettleman’s experience on white-water rafting in Uganda. He went on a group excursion with Adrift and the group voted for “wild”, which meant that the rapids were so intense that he lost his wedding ring. Had they opted for mild, they would have done the same stretch of the Nile, just avoiding the rough spots.

All this begs the question… Are these signs that I should be planning a trip to Uganda?

6 Responses to Suddenly, Uganda is Everywhere

1. Keith Jenkins May 23, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

Maybe you should plan a trip to Uganda. I haven’t been there myself but I’ve heard many wonderful stories. Neighbouring Rwanda sounds amazing too.
    I can recommend Kenya & especially Tanzania (& Zanzibar!). I was there two years ago and it was an unforgettable experience.
    Cheers,
    Keith

2. Jerome Shaw May 23, 2009 at 5:48 pm #

I vote go.
    There are times in life where what you have been blind to before, is now seen everywhere. There must be meaning in moments like this. There is meaning in moments like this if you take the time to find it.
    Jerome

3. Dave and Deb
    Twitter: theplanetd
    May 23, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

Definitely, we were in Africa for 5 months last year cycling from Cairo to Cape Town. We didn’t make it to Uganda, but heard great things from other people. It is first on our list for when we go back to Africa. Go, Go, Go! Deb and Dave

4. Rebecca McCormick May 24, 2009 at 1:44 am #

Your experiences are serendipitous, indeed. Recently, I wrote a story about Steve James, a nurse anesthetist from Cullman, Ala., who started Kenya Relief to honor the memory of his deceased daughter, Brittney, who had sponsored a little boy named Newton through Christian Children’s Fund for several years before her death.
    This summer nearly 150 medical professionals from 10 states will volunteer their services in the village of Migori on 10-day rotations beginning June 4. I’ve been invited to travel as a journalist with team No. 6, departing Sept. 10. Had I ever considered Kenya until a month ago? No. But my experiences mirror yours. Kenya is everywhere I look now.
    More info here: http://www.kenyarelief.org

5. jen laceda May 27, 2009 at 8:47 am #

DEF-INITE-LY!!!

6. Trailrider May 22, 2010 at 4:14 am #

I look forward to your experience of Uganda. I plan to ride through Uganda on my Cape Town to London trip.
    Best wishes on your travels.
    Trailrider